Delicious Homemade Soups

31 October 2011




Tomato Soup
It's that time of year, again, when soups, stews and roast dinners are top of the menu in my house.
I love making soup, especially when I can use ingredients straight from the garden. I got these tomatoes, including the dodgy looking alien thing, from my sister's garden and made my first ever tomato soup, which was blooming delicious! I found the recipe here and will definitely make it again. I didn't have the double cream so just swirled a little single cream on top instead. Delicious!!!
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
The great thing about soups is that you can use whatever you happen to have. I love making vegetable soup, it's so easy! Just chuck everything into a large pot, add enough water to cover, a stock cube, teaspoon of mixed herbs and simmer away for about 45 minutes, knowing you're not losing out on any of the nutrients. 
I made this soup using pumpkin, onion and sweet potato, from my mum's allotment, and yam.
The pumpkins from my mum's allotment are always sweet and full of flavour.
Usually I mash, rather than blend, the vegetables but decided to leave it with chunky bits. Sometimes I like to add a small handful of gluten free pasta or rice noodles for the final ten minutes.

What's your top winter food?

Barrina xx

1 comment

  1. I think I will have to try these recipes, will come in handy for a nice winter warmer! My fave winter food would have to be Beef Stew, childhood memories too Mel xx

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Barri-Jayne Makes. Design by FCD.